A Mini-Manifesto: 11 Things to Live By

Post image for A Mini-Manifesto: 11 Things to Live By

Today, I think it’s important for me to make a list of all the things I live by, many of which have been shaped, formed and invented over the course of the last six months. Everything in my life has changed and I’ve welcomed it some days more than others. Today, I write a mini-manifesto to sort through everything that’s been swimming in my brain, all the things I haven’t written for one reason or another. This is what I’ve come to understand about life:

1. The best way to feel like a fool is to make a plan. To be even more foolish is to believe said plan will actually go according to – well – plan.
  2. The key to happiness isn’t more money, more love, or more smiling (though these things don’t hurt). The true key is flexibility, the ability to adapt and acclimate to change, to disappointment, to your plans being shoved into the fire to burn as kindle. The better you are at adapting, the more likely you’ll be happy, to enjoy what’s in front of you and not live within the regret of what could have been.
  3. Before making any big decisions, ask yourself one question, “Will I regret doing or not doing this thing in one month?”
  4. One month is about the amount of time it takes for the dust to settle or for the excitement to wear off.
  5. Love makes absolutely no sense. Rationalizing it will only kill it. Hate is not the opposite of love; logic is.
  6. There’s always enough time for the things that truly matter. If the time isn’t there, the thing doesn’t matter.
  7. The hard part isn’t getting what you want; it’s deciding what you want in the first place.
  8. A contented life can feel boring and a chaotic life can feel exciting. Both feelings are untrue.
  9. Love can come unexpectedly, sure, but let’s not kid ourselves: we are/were all looking for it.
  10. Listen freely to everyone’s advice, but trust only your intuition.
  11. Break all the rules. Do what feels right, even if it’s stupid or crazy or ridiculous. Forget everything people tell you that you can’t do.

flickr credit

21 people added their two cents. Add yours.

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 nicole antoinette August 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

“The hard part isn’t getting what you want; it’s deciding what you want in the first place.”

And not changing your mind every six seconds after you’ve decided. See also: the inside of my head.

2 Brianne August 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I find it so interesting to read these kinds of posts. It’s terribly intriguing to see inside the brain of someone who views the world in a different way. At least five of those statements don’t fit my life, and that’s fantastic!

3 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I agree with Brianne. Love your perspective, no matter how brutally honest some may seem ;)

4 Amy --- Just A Titch August 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm

This makes me want to sit with you a LA BOULANGE! and tell you all the things so you can give me brilliant advice. I miss you. Love you.

5 Arina August 15, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Tonight, I looked through all of my highschool yearbooks. One of my best friends from highschool and I no longer speak to each other because of a multitude of things that I assume transpired once we hit university. 1) We didn’t spend every day with each other. 2) I wanted to keep in contact, no matter what. 3) She SAID she wanted to keep in contact, no matter what. 4) I grew resentful and bitter and angry at her, and in turn, she said that I was selfish, and provided an ultimatum.

In my yearbook, she wrote so many wonderful things. She wrote that I was and forever will be her one and only true friend. That I have made her into a better person. That I push her to be so. That she will never forget me.

But I always felt like she did. So when I read this, “There’s always enough time for the things that truly matter. If the time isn’t there, the thing doesn’t matter” – I connected to it. Quite strongly. It’s just a clusterfuck of emotions all strung together in one moment, but this is one of my most important rules in life, I think. It always has been.

Make time. She never did, and although it was cruel of her, I felt like her giving me the ultimatum was the moment of realization for me. I haven’t let her go in my heart, because I am no longer angry at her, but I wish I could.

Just thought that this was a wonderful thing to read tonight. So thank you.

6 Sanele August 16, 2011 at 9:09 am

“1.The best way to feel like a fool is to make a plan. To be even more foolish is to believe said plan will actually go according to – well – plan.”
genius!

7 emmysuh August 16, 2011 at 10:18 am

AGREE about love/hate…both share passion and irrationality. Logic makes sense and love so does not, except in the sense that it is GOOD.

8 Robyn August 16, 2011 at 11:42 am

LOVE this one. Especially as a girl who’s found THE guy, life sometimes feels too easy (I mean, not usually, don’t get ca-razy on me, Universe). I’ll sometimes say to my boyfriend, “We’re too young to be this boring!” But I don’t always think we’re actually being boring. We’re just content, and that’s okay (as long as we don’t REALLY get boring, but then we wouldn’t REALLY be content, now would we?)

Beautiful. Love when you write posts like these, Jamie. :)

9 Marian Schembari August 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Great. Now I’m even MORE obsessed with you than I already was.

“A contented life can feel boring and a chaotic life can feel exciting. Both feelings are untrue.” Story of my life.

10 Leslie Q. August 16, 2011 at 9:06 pm

“There’s always enough time for the things that truly matter. If the time isn’t there, the thing doesn’t matter.”
Finding you via Marian S. I like this rule in particular (though it’s tempting to make a contradictory argument). Nice post.

11 theresa August 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm

You matter so much to me…. sometimes I cry!!!!
Love number 6. It means so much to me.
Love you and this blog!!

12 Erica August 19, 2011 at 7:07 am

Well said! And such a beautiful photo collage. Where did you find it, or how did you create it? Would love to do something similar. And I’ll definitely write my own manifesto.

13 Suburban Sweetheart August 19, 2011 at 9:01 am

You might be a genius, my dear.

14 Carlos August 27, 2011 at 11:55 am

Look at stoic Jamie and her wise 2nd rule! By far, the most important one, IMO. Well said, girl.